The number of dungeons in each Legend of Zelda game varies. Here is a breakdown of the dungeon count for every game:
We all possess an ardent affection for the captivating world of The Legend of Zelda games; otherwise, you would not be here perusing these words at pr...
We all possess an ardent affection for the captivating world of The Legend of Zelda games; otherwise, you would not be here perusing these words at present, would you? The Zelda games encompass a plethora of admirable qualities that endear them to our hearts, fearlessly embracing the art of reinvention periodically, thereby bestowing upon each game a novel and enthralling encounter.
However, a steadfast pillar of the series is the inclusion of dungeons, which comprise a substantial portion of the games' perplexing puzzles and exhilarating combat sequences. While they assumed a more subdued role in Breath of the Wild, dungeons have traditionally been an unwavering source of assurance for Zelda enthusiasts. Considering the considerable number of Zelda games available, one may wonder: How many dungeons, precisely, exist within this beloved franchise?
How Many Dungeons Are In The Mainline Zelda Games?
At the time of composing this response, there exist ten primary Zelda games, each encompassing a remarkable array of dungeons, each with its own unique characteristics and challenges. Let us delve into a comprehensive breakdown of these games below.
- The Legend Of Zelda, with nine dungeons.
- The Adventure Of Link, with seven dungeons.
- A Link To The Past, with 12 dungeons.
- Ocarina Of Time, with ten dungeons.
- Majora's Mask, with nine dungeons.
- The Wind Waker, with seven dungeons.
- Twilight Princess, with ten dungeons, or 11 with the amiibo-exclusive dungeon in the HD release.
- Skyward Sword, with seven dungeons.
- Breath Of The Wild, with five dungeons and a sixth in the Champion's Ballad DLC.
- Tears Of The Kingdom, with six dungeons.
The number of dungeons varies significantly across the games, with Breath of the Wild featuring the fewest, consisting of only five dungeons in its original release. On the contrary, A Link to the Past remains unparalleled, boasting a remarkable total of 12 complete dungeons.
How Many Dungeons Are In The Spin-Off Zelda Games?
Undoubtedly, the expansive realm of Zelda games transcends the boundaries of its mainline titles, encompassing numerous spin-offs and pseudo-remakes dispersed across Nintendo's diverse consoles. In certain instances, these games adopt a more flexible approach to the inclusion of dungeons, thereby rendering the task of classification and enumeration slightly more intricate. Nonetheless, we shall proceed with the endeavor of counting them nonetheless.
- Link's Awakening, with ten full dungeons and four mini-dungeons.
- Oracle Of Seasons And Ages, with 11 dungeons each, and a small twelfth final dungeon in a Linked Game.
- Four Swords, which doesn't feature dungeons but consists of four levels.
- Four Swords Adventures, which also does not feature dungeons, is made up of eight levels.
- The Minish Cap features seven dungeons.
- Phantom Hourglass, with eight dungeons.
- Spirit Tracks, with seven dungeons, the final of which is an optional challenge run.
- A Link Between Worlds, which has 12 dungeons, is a remake/sequel to A Link To The Past.
- Tri Force Heroes also has no explicit dungeons but eight levels, each split into four stages. It also has a ninth challenge level with eight stages in an update.
When it comes to the spin-off entries in the Zelda series, the multiplayer games deviate from the traditional dungeon structure. Instead, they typically incorporate individual-themed levels that serve as the closest equivalent to dungeons in those particular titles.
In this context, Link's Awakening stands out, as it boasts the highest number of dungeons among all the Zelda entries, particularly when factoring in the inclusion of mini-dungeons. With a grand total of 14 dungeons, it takes the lead in terms of dungeon abundance.
The Total Number Of Zelda Dungeons
While the quantity of dungeons in each Zelda game can exhibit considerable variation, the most frequently encountered number of dungeons is seven. This particular count serves as the total number of dungeons in five distinct Zelda games, thus establishing itself as a prevalent occurrence within the franchise.
Upon tallying all the mainline Zelda games, the cumulative sum of dungeons reaches an impressive total of 84.
When considering the spin-off games, the collective number of dungeons amounts to 71. However, if we include the multiplayer entries in the count, the total rises to 92.
Taking into account the entirety of the series, this yields an impressive grand total of approximately 176 dungeons. Such a figure is undeniably remarkable, and it is expected to expand even further with the introduction of new installments in the Zelda series.